Things You Need to Know about Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.
- Reciprocal agreements for medicare are assessed case by case.
- You can’t apply for Medicare until you are physically present in Australia.
- If your country is listed above and you have applied for a 482 visa you will still need to arrange private health insurance to meet the 482 visa requirements.
- Once you are in Australia and have secured your medicare you can then ask for an exemption from DIAC.
- Reciprocal medicare agreements are usually limited to immediate necessary medical treatments, as in emergency care. It is a good idea to still supplement your medicare with private insurance.
Australia’s Medicare Levy
You will have to pay Australia’s Medicare Levy Surcharge if:
- You are from a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement country and eligible for a medicare card in Australia.
- Earn over $80,000 (single income) or $160,000 (family income).
- Do not have private hospital cover.
Medicare Levy Surcharge is an additional 1% on top of the 1.5% Medicare Levy. You can purchase private Reciprocal Health Coverage from an insurance provider to eliminate this surcharge.