Things You Need to Know about Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.
- Reciprocal agreements for medicare are assessed case by case.
- You can't apply for Medicare until you are physically present in Australia.
- If your country is listed above and you have applied for a 482 visa you will still need to arrange private health insurance to meet the 482 visa requirements.
- Once you are in Australia and have secured your medicare you can then ask for an exemption from DIAC.
- Reciprocal medicare agreements are usually limited to immediate necessary medical treatments, as in emergency care. It is a good idea to still supplement your medicare with private insurance.
Australia's Medicare Levy
You will have to pay Australia's Medicare Levy Surcharge if:
- You are from a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement country and eligible for a medicare card in Australia.
- Earn over $80,000 (single income) or $160,000 (family income).
- Do not have private hospital cover.
Medicare Levy Surcharge is an additional 1% on top of the 1.5% Medicare Levy. You can purchase private Reciprocal Health Coverage from an insurance provider to eliminate this surcharge.
Ready to Get Started with Your Move to Australia?
Australia Moving Checklist
39 pages, packed full of resources you need to kick start your move to Australia. Plus invite-only access to my Private Facebook Group with over 2,200 members. The group is a great place to get answers to all your questions, from visa applications to moving with pets and schools. Join us!
Lock-In Your Exchange Rate
Did you know the Australian dollar is a commodity currency? This means the value of the Australian dollar is linked to the price of iron ore and other Australian exports. It also means that it's HIGHLY VOLATILE! When a good rate comes along, you need to be ready to jump on it and lock-in that exchange rate.
Have You Started Packing Yet?
No, not yet? Still got several months to go? Ok, but have you at least started thinking about what you're taking? Maybe even started a list? The truth is you don’t need to know what's going with you before getting your shipping quote. Why? Scheduling a shipment to Australia can take as long as 6 months.
Open Your Bank Account
In 5 minutes or less, you can open both a checking and savings account BEFORE you move to Australia. There are only 3 things you need to get started.
1. Your passport and visa details.
2. Know where you're going to live.
3. Be arriving within the next 3 months.
*This link will take you to Commonwealth Bank of Australia's special accounts for newly arriving expats and migrants. Commonwealth Bank is a sponsoring partner of Sydney Moving Guide.