Things You Need to Know about Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.
- Reciprocal agreements for medicare are assessed case by case.
- You can't apply for Medicare until you are physically present in Australia.
- If your country is listed above and you have applied for a 482 visa you will still need to arrange private health insurance to meet the 482 visa requirements.
- Once you are in Australia and have secured your medicare you can then ask for an exemption from DIAC.
- Reciprocal medicare agreements are usually limited to immediate necessary medical treatments, as in emergency care. It is a good idea to still supplement your medicare with private insurance.
Australia's Medicare Levy
You will have to pay Australia's Medicare Levy Surcharge if:
- You are from a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement country and eligible for a medicare card in Australia.
- Earn over $80,000 (single income) or $160,000 (family income).
- Do not have private hospital cover.
Medicare Levy Surcharge is an additional 1% on top of the 1.5% Medicare Levy. You can purchase private Reciprocal Health Coverage from an insurance provider to eliminate this surcharge.
Ready to Get Started with Your Move to Australia?
Australia Moving Checklist
Lock-In Your Exchange Rate
Have You Started Packing Yet?
Open Your Bank Account
1. Your passport and visa details.
2. Know where you're going to live.
3. Be arriving within the next 3 months.