Things to Watch Out for When Getting Your Australian Health Insurance.
Some insurance policies impose 12 month waiting periods for pre-existing conditions. A pre-existing condition would be any health issues that happen before you arrive in Australia.
Exclusions & restrictions
Read through the policy carefully. Often not everything is covered in full and some things are not covered at all. Most insurers allow you add on extras, for a price of course.
Most policies are not very good when it comes to pharmacy coverage. Overseas Visitors Insurance Policies are often very limited and do not cover more high-cost drugs, or “name brand” drugs. For meds, like anti-depressants, usually name brand drugs or, knock on wood, chemotherapy, you will be paying full price out of pocket. For somethings, like chemotherapy this could mean $1,000s if not $10,000s.
Keep your insurance policy paid for and up-to-date.
If you miss any payments, your membership can be cancelled, often without you even being aware of it. If you have a 482 visa and this happens the you have fallen outside your visa requirements.
Bigger health treatments or procedures
For bigger health treatments or procedures that you are able to plan ahead for, call your provider and ask about your coverage before hand. Always double check before you even make the appointment, if at all possible.
This includes dentists, optometrists, physiotherapists, etc. are not usually covered in the basic Overseas Visitors Health Coverage Plans. Instead general treatments are often listed separately or as add-ons to hospital and medical expenses.
Note: If you do not have private health insurance and do not qualify for medicare you will not be denied emergency treatment in Australia, but you will have to pay for it in full out of pocket. Best to play it safe and get at least basic coverage while in Australia.
Private Health Insurance Providers
Take a look at iSelect.com.au for private health insurance comparisons.
Often times the hiring company will have a deal with an insurance provider for cheaper monthly rates especially if the company has many 482 temporary skills shortage visa holders employed.
Proving to the Department of Home Affairs you have private health insurance.
- A letter or certificate from insurance company. They often have one ready to send out once you have selected your policy.
- A letter from your employer indicating you and any dependents on your visa have private health insurance. The letter must state details of the provider and the policy.
If you do not arrange private health insurance your visa application will NOT be granted!
If you don't comply with Condition 8501, the minimum health insurance coverage requirements, your visa will be cancelled!
Another item to keep in mind is if you apply for a permanent residency visa after living in Australia with a 482 visa, you will be asked to show proof of your private health insurance for the past 2 years.
Medicare Levy Exemption
Do you have a 482 visa and are not from a RHCA country, such as the USA? Do you want that Medicare Levy tax back? Click here to find out how to get it back.
All eligible taxpayers in Australia must pay the 1.5% Medicare Levy throughout the year.
International Moving Companies Near You
What are you taking to Australia when you move? Do you know yet?
The truth is you don’t need to know right now, for sure, what’s going with you.
But you do have to get a shipping quote ASAP, especially now.
Why? Because international moving companies need to schedule your move to Australia far in advance, some ask for 6 months in advance. Yes, COVID has changed everything, including international shipping.
When filling out the form below…
- You don’t need a street address for where you’re moving to, only the city and country. What they really want to know is the main shipping port.
- Moving date is an estimate. You don’t need exact dates right now. Go with your best guess.
- Estimate volume is an estimate. Don’t bother with calculating your volume. Use one of the estimates below for your estimated volume.
- Studio or 1 Bedroom —> 20 m3
- 2 Bedroom —> 25 m3
- 3 Bedroom —> 30 m3
- 4 Bedroom or 3 Bedroom + Car —> 50 m3
- Use your “real” contact details for BOTH phone and email. Yes, the form is secure. If you don’t use your real contact details, then they can’t get in touch with you for your quote. Makes sense, right?