The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) replaced the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards NSW (BOSTES) on 1 January 2017 following the Review of BOSTES (PDF, 55 pages, 980KB) in 2016.
NESA has an increased focus on:
- developing evidence-based policy to improve student achievement and support teachers
- risk-based monitoring of Teacher Accreditation Authorities and schools.
NESA will set and monitor quality teaching, learning, assessment and school standards. This includes responsibility, across NSW public, Catholic and independent schools, for:
- Kindergarten to Year 12 curriculum
- accreditation of teachers and teaching degrees
- the internationally recognised HSC
- school registration and homeschooling
In May the Board and Minister approved the NESA Charter which sets out our mission and purpose, objectives and functions, standards, values and operating principles, and the role of the Board.
Read the NESA Statement of Expectations released by the Minister.
NESA has developed a Commitment to Aboriginal Education in partnership with the NSW Aboriginal Education Consultative Group Inc. (AECG).