HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations.
Top 10 Facts About HomeAway
- HomeAway, Inc. was founded by Brian Sharples and Carl Shepherd in February 2005.
- In December 2015, HomeAway was acquired by Expedia for $3.9 billion.
- In September 2016, John Kim became President of HomeAway.
- Today, there are more than two million unique places that can be booked on HomeAway. Of those, more than one million are instantly bookable with no wait for confirmation.
- The rentals listed on HomeAway’s sites provide enough beds to accommodate the entire population of New York City.
- HomeAway operates more than 50 websites in 23 languages with rentals in 190 countries.
- During Q3 of 2017, HomeAway grew online gross bookings to $2 billion, a 44% increase year-over-year. HomeAway also delivered $305 million of revenue, representing an increase of 45% year-over-year.
- The average traveler is a 35-to-50-year-old female who travels with family, typically a group of four or more people. Vacation and special occasions are the most common reasons for a trip, with an average stay of seven days.
- After staying a vacation rental for the first time, 82% of travelers plan to do so again in the future.
- By renting a vacation home, many travelers can get twice the space for half the cost of a hotel.