When Shipping a Container from the USA to Australia, You Will Need to Get an Employee Identification Number
All exports shipped from the United States that require an Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the Automated Commercial Environment (ACE) need to have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS.
Here is a link to the United States Census Bureau’s blog that explains in detail why and what you need to know.
The international shipping company you choose to go with should let you know if you need to get an EIN personally but just to cover all the basics, I’m going to cover how to get your EIN and why it’s needed.
Who Needs to Get an Employee Identification Number When Shipping Household Goods to Australia?
Back in 2008, when we moved to Sydney, we did not need an EIN. At that time my husband’s social security number was used for identification of our shipment. Now that is no longer acceptable. This is a good thing because you don’t really want your social security number accessible by anyone that knows where to look for it.
You need an EIN when filing the Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the Automated Export System (AES).
An EEI filing is a requirement for every shipment exported from the United States. If the EEI is not correctly filled out, US Customs and Border Protection can refuse to export your shipment.
Don’t worry, getting an EIN is easy to do.
The movers may offer to do it for you if you are comfortable giving them your social security number. If not, then do it yourself and send them your EIN.
It takes about 10 minutes max to do online. It will probably take you longer to read through the steps than to fill out the application.
How to Get Your EIN in 16 Easy Steps
1. Go to “Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online.” The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern Time. The Online EIN Assistant is not available outside the hours of operation.
2. Click on the blue “Apply Online” button. It will redirect you to the EIN Assistant site and a warning will popup telling you that you are being monitored.
3. Click “Continue” in the popup window. It’s really the only choice you have. If you do not want to continue with the online EIN application, you can apply by mail or phone.
4. Read through the info on the EIN Assistant page before clicking “Begin Application.”
5. You will be taken to a page titled “What type of legal structure is applying for an EIN?” Select sole proprietor.
6. On the next page, you will need to let the IRS know if you are a Sole Proprietor or a Household Employer. Select sole proprietor.
7. You need to confirm your selection. Click continue.
8. Once you have confirmed your selection, you will need to choose a reason for applying for an EIN. Any of the reasons listed can be selected so we’ll just go with the first “Started a New Business.”
9. Fill out the form with your name and social security number. Below the form select “I am a sole proprietor” and click continue.
10. On the next page, leave the field for Trade Name blank and enter the United States as the country. Then select your State and enter today’s date as “Sole Proprietor Start Date.” Click continue.
11. Answer no to the five questions on the next page and click continue.
12. For “What does your business or organization do” select “Other.” Click continue.
13. For your business’ activity, select “Other” and enter “Relocation.” Click continue.
14. Next, select “Receive Letter Online” and click continue.
15. Review your info and print up a copy of the letter for your records. Click continue.
16. The following page will have your EIN. Print your confirmation letter and save this for your records.
Congratulations, you are now ready to ship your household to Australia. Be sure to let your movers know what your number is and email them a copy of the confirmation letter.
Here are a few pdf you might want to read through if you need more info on why you need an EIN and the specific regulations behind it.
International Moving Companies Near You
What are you taking to Australia when you move? Do you know yet?
The truth is you don’t need to know right now what’s going with you.
But you do have to get a shipping quote ASAP, especially now.
Why? Because international moving companies need to schedule your move to Australia far in advance, some ask for 6 months in advance. Yes, COVID has changed everything, including international shipping.
When filling out the form below…
Use your “real” contact details for BOTH phone and email. If you don’t use your real contact details, then they can’t get in touch with you for your quote. Makes sense, right?