Category: Taxes for Expats Living in Australia

Chances are you will be filing a tax return in Australia as well as back home.

The number one tax mistake most expats make when they move to Australia is they stop filing a tax return back home. Even if you don't owe any tax, you will still need to file a tax return every year. This is especially true for US expats living in Australia.

When you first move to Australia, you will need to get a Tax File Number (TFN). After you get your TFN, you will need to link your Australian bank account to your TFN. I have a post on how to get your TFN when you arrive in Australia below. Unfortunately, you cannot get your TFN before you arrive in Australia. Be sure to check out that post as I go through the process step-by-step.

After you have your TFN, you're ready to file your tax return in Australia. Below I have two posts on filing your Australian tax return. One is a quick guide to filing taxes in Australia and the other is an FAQ post where I asked Sydney Moving Guide readers what their top tax filing questions were. The answers are from H&R Block in Australia. Definitely check out both those posts.

For US expats living in Australia, your taxes just got more complicated. There are a few more forms you will need to know about plus things like how your Australian superannuation is going to affect your tax return back in the States. You need to be familiar with FBAR and FATCA before you file your first tax return from overseas.

I would start with my post on understanding US expat taxes then get into the posts on FBAR and FATCA.

If you have any further questions about your move, please post them in the Q&A forum, and I will answer them shortly.

Most Viewed Posts for Taxes for Expats Living in Australia Category

Understanding US Expatriate Taxes

As a US expat, your taxes just got more complicated. Not filing your taxes correctly can result in some very large fines. Here’s what you need to know.