Today’s question was a really good one about catchment zones for high schools in New South Wales.
I actually thought this was going to be an easy question to answer because I’ve gotten pretty good at navigation my way through the Department of Education and Communities website.
Boy, was I wrong.
Can someone help me find a Catchment Zone Map for Public High Schools in Sydney?
I’ve been searching everywhere and have found one for Adelaide and Brisbane but can’t seem to find one for Sydney.
We’re starting to look at specific neighborhoods in Sydney to live but want to know what the local high school is.
I have found a high school catchment zone map for Sydney.
I have not verified that this is accurate so please still read the rest of this post and contact the schools directly.
If you do and it does look accurate for the high school you are interested in, can you please get back to me and let me know? Cheers. Lauren
There is also this large map that lists high schools in NSW that accepts international students. It doesn’t have catchment zones though.
Before I start listing more resources, what kind of visa do you have?
I’m asking because some schools do not accept temporary visa holder’s kids, like a 457 visa.
If you have a Permanent Residence visa, like an 189 visa, then you should have no problem enrolling your kids in a public school.
Just wanted to point that out.
To verify the catchment zone of a high school you are interested in, you will need to go directly to the school’s website. Most have a catchment zone map or a catchment list of streets on the enroll page of their website.
The ones that don’t, you will need to contact directly.
Assuming you’re overseas and will be emailing the school, don’t get discouraged if they write back and ask for your street address in Sydney. Then, are unwilling to help you anymore once they realize you are not actually, currently in Australia.
So here’s what I would do if that happens.
Go to Domain.com.au, search for rents in the suburb you’re thinking about living in, and copy and paste one of the address of the available apartments into your reply to the school.
Now, if that makes you uncomfortable, to claim it as your address then say something like “we are considering renting this apartment and want to know what high school catchment zone it is in before we do”.
Here’s a map of high school catchment zones for all of Australia. You can zoom in on Sydney then click no the individual catchment zones.
If you have narrowed down the suburbs in Sydney you are interested, in then just focus on those schools. Use the search in the map above for the suburb.
I’m also listing high schools in Sydney below with links to the school.
High Schools in Sydney
- Alexandria Park Community College
- Ashfield Boys High School
- Asquith Boys High School
- Asquith Girls High School
- Barrenjoey High School
- Blakehurst High School
- Burwood Girls High School
- Cammeraygal High School
- Canterbury Boys High School
- Canterbury Girls High School
- Carlingford High School
- Castle Hill High School
- Cecil Hills High School
- Chatswood High School
- Cherrybrook Technology High School
- Concord High School
- Crestwood High School
- Cronulla High School
- Cumberland High School
- Davidson High School
- Dulwich High School of Visual Arts and Design
- Endeavour Sports High School
- Engadine High School
- Georges River College Hurstville Boys Campus
- Georges River College Oatley Senior Campus
- Georges River College Penshurst Girls Campus
- Georges River College Peakhurst Campus
- Glenwood High School
- Gymea Technology High School
- Heathcote High School
- Homebush Boys High School
- Hunters Hill High School
- J J Cahill Memorial High School
- James Cook Technology Boys High School
- Jannali High School
- Kellyville High School
- Killara High School
- Killarney Heights High School
- Kingsgrove High School
- Kirrawee High School
- Kogarah High School
- Ku-Ring-Gai High School
- Lucas Heights Community School
- Marrickville High School
- Marsden High School
- Matraville Sports High School
- Menai High School
- Model Farms High School
- Moorefield Girls High School
- Mosman High School
- Muirfield High School
- Narrabeen Sports High School
- Newtown High School of the Performing Arts
- Northmead Creative and Performing Arts High School
- Parramatta High School
- Pennant Hills High School
- Pittwater High School
- Port Hacking High School
- Randwick Boys High School
- Randwick Girls High School
- Rose Bay Secondary College
- Rouse Hill High School
- Ryde Secondary College
- South Sydney High School
- St Ives High School
- Strathfield Girls High School
- Strathfield South High School
- Sydney Secondary College Balmain Campus
- Sydney Secondary College Blackwattle Bay Campus
- Sydney Secondary College Leichhardt Campus
- Sylvania High School
- Tempe High School
- The Ponds High School
- Turramurra High School
- Woolooware High School
Hope that helps, at least, get you started.
If by chance you do find a more complete catchment zone map for NSW, can you please let me know? Or post it in the comments below.
What is Mailbox Mondays?
Every Monday I pick a question from you, along with my reply, straight out of my inbox to share with everyone here on Sydney Moving Guide.
I don’t promise to have all the answers, but I will do my best to point you in the right direction or help you with your research as I know there is a lot of noise out there on the interwebs and good resources are hard to find.
The aim of Mailbox Mondays is to start conversations on topics you want to know about. So please leave a comment, or ask a question, or share more info from your experience, moving to and living in Australia, in the comment section below.